Loaded with vegetables and a cinch to pull together, this creamy broccoli soup is warming and rich without feeling heavy and gets a tangy kick from our Wild Green Fire Goddess seasoning.
Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Shorter days and changing leaves mean one thing: soup season. This riff on broccoli-cheese soup is chock-full of broccoli, and while it doesn't skimp on the creaminess, you won't find anything heavy or gloppy about it. A healthy dose of Wild Green Fire Goddess seasoning (made with sumac, roasted garlic, thyme, sage, and fire cider mash from our friends at Red Moon Herbs) lends depth and tanginess, making it the perfect soup to welcome in fall.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 12 oz. broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
2 to 3 Tbsp.
Wild Green Fire Goddess seasoning, plus more to taste
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, then stir in flour and cook until well incorporated.
- Whisk in broth, breaking up any clumps, then bring to a simmer. Add broccoli, carrot, and Wild Green Fire Goddess seasoning, then cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half-and-half and cheese. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more Wild Green Fire Goddess seasoning before serving.